快捷搜索:  汽车  科技

学英语的万能公式(学习外语的诀窍)

学英语的万能公式(学习外语的诀窍)当人们发现我的时候,他们总是问我,When people find that out about me they always ask me事实上,我非常喜欢它,我喜欢每两年学习一门新语言,currently working on my eighth one.我正在做我的第八个。

音频

中英文文本

I love learning foreign languages.

我喜欢学习外语。

In fact I love it so much that I like to learn a new language every two years

事实上,我非常喜欢它,我喜欢每两年学习一门新语言,

currently working on my eighth one.

我正在做我的第八个。

When people find that out about me they always ask me

当人们发现我的时候,他们总是问我,

"How do you do that? What's your secret?"

"你是怎么做到的?" 你的秘密是什么?"

And to be honest for many years my answer would be

老实说,多年来,我的答案是,

"I don't know. I simply love learning languages."

"我不知道。我只是喜欢学习语言。"

But people were never happy with that answer.

但人们对这个答案并不满意。

They wanted to know why they are spending years trying to learn even one language

他们想知道为什么他们花了这么多年的时间来学习哪怕一种语言,

never achieving fluency

从未达到流畅性,

and here I come learning one language after another.

我来了,学了一门又一门的语言。

They wanted to know the secret of polyglots

他们想知道多声门的秘密,

people who speak a lot of languages.

会说很多语言的人。

And that made me wonder too

所以我也想知道,

how do actually other polyglots do it?

实际上其他多声门是如何做到的呢?

What do we have in common?

我们有什么共同点?

And what is it that enables us

是什么让我们

to learn languages so much faster than other people?

学语言比别人学得快多了?

I decided to meet other people like me and find that out.

我决定去见像我这样的人,然后发现这一点。

The best place to meet a lot of polyglots

最好的地方来满足许多多声门

is an event where hundreds of language lovers

是一个数以百计的语言爱好者

meet in one place to practice their languages.

在一个地方练习他们的语言。

There are several such polyglot events organized all around the world

有几个这样的多语种活动在世界各地组织,

and so I decided to go there

所以我决定去那里

and ask polyglots about the methods that they use.

并询问他们使用的方法。

And so I met Benny from Ireland

所以我遇到了来自爱尔兰的本尼,

who told me that his method is to start speaking from day one.

他告诉我他的方法是从第一天开始说话。

He learns a few phrases from a travel phrasebook

他从一本游记中学到了一些短语

and goes to meet native speakers

去见说母语的人

and starts having conversations with them right away.

立刻开始和他们交谈。

He doesn't mind making even 200 mistakes a day

他不介意每天犯200个错误,

because that's how he learns based on the feedback.

因为那是他学习的方式,基于反馈。

And the best thing is he doesn't even need to travel a lot today

最好的是,他今天甚至不需要经常旅行,

because you can easily have conversations with native speakers

因为你可以很容易地和母语为英语的人交谈

from the comfort of your living room using websites.

从舒适的客厅,使用网站。

I also met Lucas from Brazil

我也见过巴西的卢卡斯

who had a really interesting method to learn Russian.

他有一个非常有趣的学习俄语的方法。

He simply added a hundred random Russian speakers on Skype as Friends

他只是在Skype上随机添加了100个俄语用户作为朋友,

and then he opened a chat window with one of them

后来他和其中一个打开了一个聊天窗口

and wrote "Hi" in Russian.

用俄语写了"嗨"。

And the person replied "Hi how are you?"

那人回答说:"嗨,你好吗?"

Lucas copied this and put it into a text window with another person

卢卡斯复制了这个然后把它放到另一个人的文本窗口里,

and the person replied "I'm fine thank you and how are you?"

那人回答说:"我很好,谢谢你,你好吗?"

Lucas copied this back to the first person

卢卡斯把这个抄回给了第一个人,

and in this way he had two strangers have a conversation with each other

就这样,他让两个陌生人互相交谈

without knowing about it.

在不知情的情况下。

(Laughter)

(笑声)

And soon he would start typing himself

很快他就会开始打字,

because he had so many of these conversations

因为他有很多这样的谈话

that he figured out how the Russian conversation usually starts.

他知道俄罗斯人的谈话通常是怎么开始的。

What an ingenious method right?

多巧妙的方法啊,对吧?

And then I met polyglots who always start by imitating sounds of the language

然后我遇到了多声门的人他们总是从模仿语言的声音开始,

and others who always learn the 500 most frequent words of the language

以及其他经常学习这门语言中最常用的500个单词的人,

and yet others who always start by reading about the grammar.

还有一些人总是从阅读语法开始。

If I asked a hundred different polyglots

如果我问一百个不同的多声门,

I heard a hundred different approaches to learning languages.

我听到了上百种不同的学习语言的方法。

Everybody seems to have a unique way they learn a language

每个人似乎都有一种独特的学习语言的方式,

and yet we all come to the same result of speaking several languages fluently.

然而我们都得到了同样的结果说几种语言流利。

And as I was listening to these polyglots telling me about their methods

当我在听这些多嘴多舌的人告诉我他们的方法时,

it suddenly dawned on me:

我突然意识到:

the one thing we all have in common

我们有一个共同点

is that we simply found ways to enjoy the language-learning process.

我们只是找到了享受语言学习过程的方法。

All of these polyglots were talking about language learning

所有这些多嘴多舌的人都在谈论语言学习

as if it was great fun.

好像很有趣似的。

You should have seen their faces

你应该看看他们的脸

when they were showing me their colorful grammar charts

当他们给我看他们五颜六色的语法图时

and their carefully handmade flash cards

以及他们精心手工制作的闪存卡,

and their statistics about learning vocabulary using apps

以及他们使用应用程序学习词汇的统计数据,

or even how they love to cook based on recipes in a foreign language.

或者他们是如何喜欢用外语烹饪菜谱的。

All of them use different methods

他们都使用不同的方法,

but they always make sure it's something that they personally enjoy.

但他们总是确保这是他们个人喜欢的。

I realized that this is actually how I learn languages myself.

我意识到这就是我自己学习语言的方式。

When I was learning Spanish I was bored with the text in the textbook.

当我在学西班牙语时,我对课本中的课文感到厌烦。

I mean who wants to read about Jose

我是说,谁想知道何塞的事

asking about the directions to the train station. Right?

询问去火车站的方向。对吗?

I wanted to read "Harry Potter" instead

我本想读《哈利波特》的,

because that was my favorite book as a child

因为那是我小时候最喜欢的书,

and I have read it many times.

我已经读过很多次了。

So I got the Spanish translation of "Harry Potter" and started reading

所以我得到了《哈利·波特》的西班牙语译本并开始阅读,

and sure enough I didn't understand almost anything at the beginning

当然,一开始我几乎什么都不懂,

but I kept on reading because I loved the book

但我坚持读书因为我喜欢这本书,

and by the end of the book I was able to follow it almost without any problems.

在这本书的结尾,我几乎没有遇到任何问题。

And the same thing happened when I was learning German.

同样的事情也发生在我学习德语的时候。

I decided to watch "Friends " my favorite sitcom in German

我决定用德语看我最喜欢的情景喜剧《老友记》,

and again at the beginning it was all just gibberish.

再说一次,一开始都是胡言乱语。

I didn't know where one word finished and another one started

我不知道一个词在哪里结束另一个词在哪里开始,

but I kept on watching every day because it's "Friends."

但我每天都在看因为这是"朋友"。

I can watch it in any language. I love it so much.

我可以用任何语言看它。我太喜欢了。

And after the second or third season

在第二个或第三个赛季之后,

seriously the dialogue started to make sense.

严肃地说,对话开始有意义了。

I only realized this after meeting other polyglots.

我是在遇到其他多声门之后才意识到这一点的。

We are no geniuses

我们不是天才

and we have no shortcut to learning languages.

而且我们没有学习语言的捷径。

We simply found ways how to enjoy the process

我们只是找到了享受这个过程的方法,

how to turn language learning from a boring school subject

如何把语言学习从枯燥的学校课程

into a pleasant activity which you don't mind doing every day.

变成一个你不介意每天做的愉快的活动。

If you don't like writing words down on paper

如果你不喜欢在纸上写字,

you can always type them in an app.

您总是可以在应用程序中键入它们。

If you don't like listening to boring textbook material

如果你不喜欢听枯燥的教材,

find interesting content on YouTube or in podcasts for any language.

在YouTube或任何语言的播客中找到有趣的内容。

If you're a more introverted person

如果你是个比较内向的人

and you can't imagine speaking to native speakers right away

你不能想象马上和母语为英语的人说话,

you can apply the method of self-talk.

你可以运用自我对话的方法。

You can talk to yourself in the comfort of your room

你可以在舒适的房间里自言自语,

describing your plans for the weekend how your day has been

描述你周末的计划,你今天过得怎么样,

or even take a random picture from your phone

或者从你的手机里随便拍张照片

and describe the picture to your imaginary friend.

向你想象中的朋友描述这幅画。

This is how polyglots learn languages

多声门就是这样学习语言的,

and the best news is it's available to anyone

最好的消息是,任何人都可以得到它

who is willing to take the learning into their own hands.

愿意将学习掌握在自己手中的人。

So meeting other polyglots helped me realize

所以遇见其他多声门的人让我意识到

that it is really crucial to find enjoyment

找到快乐是非常重要的

in the process of learning languages

在学习语言的过程中,

but also that joy in itself is not enough.

但这种快乐本身也是不够的。

If you want to achieve fluency in a foreign language

如果你想流利地掌握一门外语,

you'll also need to apply three more principles.

你还需要运用另外三个原则。

First of all you'll need effective methods.

首先,你需要有效的方法。

If you try to memorize a list of words for a test tomorrow

如果你试着记住明天考试单词列表,

the words will be stored in your short-term memory

单词会被储存在你的短期记忆中

and you'll forget them after a few days.

几天后你就会忘记的。

If you however want to keep words long term

然而,如果你想长期保留文字,

you need to revise them in the course of a few days repeatedly

你需要在几天内反复修改它们

using the so-called space repetition.

使用所谓的空间重复。

You can use apps which are based on this system such as Anki or Memrise

您可以使用基于此系统的应用程序,如Anki或Memrise,

or you can write lists of word in a notebook using the Goldlist method

或者您可以使用Goldlist方法在笔记本中编写单词列表,

which is also very popular with many polyglots.

这在许多多声门中也是非常流行的。

If you're not sure which methods are effective and what is available out there

如果您不确定哪些方法是有效的以及哪些方法是可用的,

just check out polyglots' YouTube channels and websites

你只要看看多声域的YouTube频道和网站就知道了

and get inspiration from them.

从他们那里得到灵感。

If it works for them it will most probably work for you too.

如果它对他们有效,它很可能也对你有效。

The third principle to follow

第三个应该遵循的原则

is to create a system in your learning.

是在你的学习中创建一个系统。

We're all very busy and no one really has time to learn a language today.

我们都很忙,今天没有人真正有时间学习一门语言。

But we can create that time if we just plan a bit ahead.

但如果我们能提前计划就能创造出这样的机会。

Can you wake up 15 minutes earlier than you normally do?

你能比平时早15分钟起床吗?

That would be the perfect time to revise some vocabulary.

那将是修改一些词汇的最佳时机。

Can you listen to a podcast on your way to work while driving?

你能在开车上班的路上听一个播客吗?

Well that would be great to get some listening experience.

好吧,那就去找点听力方面的经验吧。

There are so many things we can do without even planning that extra time

我们可以做很多事情而不需要计划额外的时间,

such as listening to podcasts on our way to work

比如在上班的路上听播客

or doing our household chores.

或者做我们的家务活。

The important thing is to create a plan in the learning.

重要的是在学习中制定一个计划。

"I will practice speaking every Tuesday and Thursday

"我每星期二和星期四都要练习演讲

with a friend for 20 minutes.

和一个朋友在一起20分钟。

I will listen to a YouTube video while having breakfast."

我会边吃早饭边听YouTube上的视频。"

If you create a system in your learning

如果您在学习中创建了一个系统,

you don't need to find that extra time

你不需要额外的时间,

because it will become a part of your everyday life.

因为它会成为你日常生活的一部分。

And finally if you want to learn a language fluently

最后,如果你想流利地学习一门语言,

you need also a bit of patience.

你还需要一点耐心。

It's not possible to learn a language within two months

不可能在两个月内学会一门语言,

but it's definitely possible to make a visible improvement in two months

但有可能在两个月内取得明显的进步,

if you learn in small chunks every day in a way that you enjoy.

如果你每天都以你喜欢的方式小块地学习。

And there is nothing that motivates us more

再没有比这更能激励我们的了

than our own success.

比我们自己的成功更重要。

I vividly remember the moment

我清楚地记得

when I understood the first joke in German when watching "Friends."

当我在看《老友记》时明白了德语的第一个笑话。

I was so happy and motivated

我很高兴也很有动力

that I just kept on watching that day two more episodes

我那天又看了两集,

and as I kept watching

当我一直看着的时候,

I had more and more of those moments of understanding these little victories

我有越来越多的理解的时刻,这些小小的胜利,

and step by step I got to a level where I could use the language

一步一步地,我达到了可以使用这种语言的水平

freely and fluently to express anything.

自由流畅地表达任何东西。

This is a wonderful feeling.

这是一种美妙的感觉。

I can't get enough of that feeling

我受不了那种感觉,

and that's why I learn a language every two years.

这就是为什么我每两年学习一门语言。

So this is the whole polyglot secret.

所以这就是通晓多种语言的秘密。

Find effective methods which you can use systematically

找到有效的方法,你可以系统地使用

over the period of some time in a way which you enjoy

在一段你喜欢的时间里,

and this is how polyglots learn languages within months not years.

这就是多声门在几个月内,而不是几年内学习语言的方式。

Now some of you may be thinking

现在,你们中的一些人可能在想,

"That's all very nice to enjoy language learning

"这是非常好的享受语言学习,

but isn't the real secret that you polyglots

但你们这些多嘴多舌的人

are just super talented and most of us aren't?"

只是超级天才,而我们大多数人都不是?"

Well there's one thing I haven't told you about Benny and Lucas.

关于本尼和卢卡斯我有一件事没告诉你。

Benny had 11 years of Irish Gaelic and five years of German at school.

本尼在学校里有11年的爱尔兰盖尔语和5年的德语。

He couldn't speak them at all when graduating.

他毕业时根本不会说这些话。

Up to the age of 21 he thought he didn't have the language gene

一直到21岁,他还以为自己没有语言基因

and he could not speak another language.

他不会说另一种语言。

Then he started to look for his way of learning languages

然后他开始寻找学习语言的方法,

which was speaking to native speakers and getting feedback from them

与母语为英语的人交谈并从他们那里得到反馈,

and today Benny can easily have a conversation in 10 languages.

今天本尼可以轻松地用10种语言进行对话。

Lucas tried to learn English at school for 10 years.

卢卡斯在学校里学了10年英语。

He was one of the worst students in class.

他是班上最差的学生之一。

His friends even made fun of him

他的朋友们甚至取笑他

and gave him a Russian textbook as a joke

给了他一本俄文教科书作为笑料

because they thought he would never learn that language or any language.

因为他们认为他永远学不到那种语言,或者任何一种语言。

And then Lucas started to experiment with methods

然后卢卡斯开始试验一些方法,

looking for his own way to learn

在寻找自己的学习方式,

for example by having Skype chat conversations with strangers.

例如,通过Skype与陌生人聊天。

And after just 10 years

仅仅10年后,

Lucas is able to speak 11 languages fluently.

卢卡斯能流利地说11种语言。

Does that sound like a miracle?

听起来像是奇迹吗?

Well I see such miracles every single day.

好吧,我每天都能看到这样的奇迹

As a language mentor

作为语言导师,

I help people learn languages by themselves

我帮助人们自己学习语言,

and I see this every day.

我每天都看到这个。

People struggle with language learning for five 10 even 20 years

人们在语言学习中挣扎了5年,10年,甚至20年,

and then they suddenly take their learning into their own hands

然后他们突然把他们的学习掌握在自己的手中,

start using materials which they enjoy more effective methods

开始使用他们喜欢的材料,更有效的方法,

or they start tracking their learning

或者他们开始追踪他们的学习

so that they can appreciate their own progress

好让他们欣赏自己的进步,

and that's when suddenly

就在那时突然

they magically find the language talent that they were missing all their lives.

他们神奇地发现了他们一生所缺少的语言天赋。

So if you've also tried to learn a language

所以如果你也试着学习一门语言

and you gave up thinking it's too difficult

你放弃了,觉得这太难了

or you don't have the language talent

或者你没有语言天赋,

give it another try.

再试一次。

Maybe you're also just one enjoyable method away

或许你也只是一个有趣的方法

from learning that language fluently.

不能流利地学习那门语言。

Maybe you're just one method away from becoming a polyglot.

也许你离成为一个多语种的人只有一步之遥。

Thank you.

谢谢你。

(Applause)

(掌声)

学英语的万能公式(学习外语的诀窍)(1)

猜您喜欢: