萝卜青菜各有所爱英语怎么说(萝卜白菜各有所爱)
萝卜青菜各有所爱英语怎么说(萝卜白菜各有所爱)在决定什么能吃而什么不能吃的时候,人们往往变得不合情理。People become quite illogical when they try to decide what can be eaten and what cannot be eaten.而这个爱,很多时候只是一个习惯而已。比如说我们吃的食物。生活环境的影响,我们可能从小习惯了吃某一类食物。而这个习惯可能会跟随我们一辈子。比如说北方人喜欢吃面,辣妹子喜欢吃辣。对于蜗牛这道美食,你可能也只是听说过,看看外国人是如何享用的,请看课文。
新概念英语第三册23课
One man's meat is another man's poison 各有所爱
导读:
俗话所说的好,萝卜白菜,各有所爱。
而这个爱,很多时候只是一个习惯而已。比如说我们吃的食物。生活环境的影响,我们可能从小习惯了吃某一类食物。而这个习惯可能会跟随我们一辈子。比如说北方人喜欢吃面,辣妹子喜欢吃辣。
对于蜗牛这道美食,你可能也只是听说过,看看外国人是如何享用的,请看课文。
People become quite illogical when they try to decide what can be eaten and what cannot be eaten. |
在决定什么能吃而什么不能吃的时候,人们往往变得不合情理。 |
If you lived in the Mediterranean for instance |
比如,如果你住在地中海地区, |
you would consider octopus a great delicacy. |
你会把章鱼视作美味佳肴, |
You would not be able to understand why some people find it repulsive. |
同时不能理解为什么有人一见章鱼就恶心。 |
On the other hand |
另一方面, |
your stomach would turn at the idea of frying potatoes in animal fat--the normally accepted practice in many northern countries. |
你一想到动物油炸土豆就会反胃,但这在北方许多国家却是一种普通的烹饪方法。 |
The sad truth is that most of us have been brought up to eat certain foods and we stick to them all our lives. |
不无遗憾的是,我们中的大部分人,生来就只吃某几种食品,而且一辈子都这样。 |
No creature has received more praise and abuse than the common garden snail. |
没有一种生物所受到的赞美和厌恶会超过花园里常见的蜗牛了。 |
Cooked in wine snails are a great luxury in various parts of the world. |
蜗牛加酒烧煮后,便成了世界上许多地方的一道珍奇的名菜。 |
There are countless people who ever since their early years have learned to associate snails with food. |
有不计其数的人们从小就知道蜗牛可做菜。 |
My friend Robert lives in a country where snails are despised. |
但我的朋友罗伯特却住在一个厌恶蜗牛的国家中。 |
As his flat is in a large town he has no garden of his own. |
他住在大城市里的一所公寓里,没有自己的花园。 |
For years he has been asking me to collect snails from my garden and take them to him. |
多年来,他一直让我把我园子里的蜗牛收集起来给他捎去。 |
The idea never appealed to me very much |
一开始,他的这一想法没有引起我多大兴趣。 |
but one day after a heavy shower |
后来有一天,一场大雨后, |
I happened to be walking in my garden when I noticed a huge number of snails taking a stroll on some of my prize plants. |
我在花园里漫无目的地散步,突然注意到许许多多蜗牛在我的一些心爱的花木上慢悠悠地蠕动着。 |
Acting on a sudden impulse I collected several dozen |
我一时冲动,逮了几十只, |
put them in a paper bag and took them to Robert. |
装进一只纸袋里,带着去找罗伯特。 |
Robert was delighted to see me and equally pleased with my little gift. |
罗伯特见到我很高兴,对我的薄礼也感到满意。 |
I left the bag in the hall and Robert and I went into the living room where we talked for a couple of hours. |
我把纸袋放在门厅里,与罗伯特一起进了起居室,在那里聊了好几个钟头。 |
I had forgotten all about the snails when Robert suddenly said that I must stay to dinner. |
我把蜗牛的事已忘得一干二净,罗伯特突然提出一定要我留下来吃晚饭,这才提醒了我。 |
Snails would of course be the main dish. |
蜗牛当然是道主菜。 |
I did not fancy the idea and I reluctantly followed Robert out of the room. |
我并不喜欢这个主意,所以我勉强跟着罗伯特走出了起居室。 |
To our dismay we saw that there were snails everywhere: |
使我们惊愕的是门厅里到处爬满了蜗牛: |
they had escaped from the paper bag and had taken complete possession of the hall! |
它们从纸袋里逃了出来,爬得满厅都是! |
I have never been able to look at a snail since then. |
从那以后,我再也不能看一眼蜗牛了。 |