喜欢秘密花园里的柯林的理由(听读柯林在花园里)
喜欢秘密花园里的柯林的理由(听读柯林在花园里)The next afternoon Colin was carried downstairs by a manservant and put in his wheelchair outside the front door.所以柯林吩咐园丁们以后不准到那片花园去。Mary or Dickon entering the secret garden.玛丽和狄肯进秘密花园里面去。So Colin gave orders to the gardeners that they must all keep away from that part of the garden in future.
★ 第7章 ★
Of course it was most important that no one should see Colin
当然,重要的是不能让人见到柯林,
Mary or Dickon entering the secret garden.
玛丽和狄肯进秘密花园里面去。
So Colin gave orders to the gardeners that they must all keep away from that part of the garden in future.
所以柯林吩咐园丁们以后不准到那片花园去。
The next afternoon Colin was carried downstairs by a manservant and put in his wheelchair outside the front door.
第二天下午,柯林由一个男仆抱下楼放在大门外的轮椅上。
Dickon arrived with his crow two squirrels and the fox
狄肯来了,带着他的乌鸦、两只松鼠和狐狸,
and started pushing the wheelchair gently away from the house and into the gardens.
开始慢慢推着轮椅离开房子到花园里去。
Mary walked beside the chair.
玛丽在旁边跟着。
Spring had really arrived now and it seemed very exciting to Colin who had lived indoors for so long.
春天已经来了,而柯林已经在房间里生活了那么久,所以显得十分激动。
He smelt the warm air from the moor and watched the little white clouds in the blue sky.
他闻到荒原上飘来的温暖的气息,看到小朵的白云在蓝天上浮动。
In a very short time he heard Mary say
很快,他听见玛丽小声说,
‘This is where I found the key…and this is the door…and this…this is the secret garden!’
“我就是在这儿找到钥匙的……门在这儿……这儿……这就是秘密花园!”
Colin covered his eyes with his hands until he was inside the four high walls and the door was shut again.
柯林用手捂住眼睛,直到进了那四堵高大的围墙里才松开,门又被关上了。
Then he looked around at the roses climbing the old red walls the pink and white flowers on the fruit trees
然后他四周看了看,看见玫瑰爬满了古老的红砖墙,果树上开着粉色和白色的花儿,
and the birds and the butterflies everywhere.
到处都是鸟儿和蝴蝶。
The sun warmed his face and he suddenly knew he felt different.
阳光暖暖地照在他的脸上,他顿时感到自己与以往不一样了。
'Mary! Dickon!' he cried.
“玛丽!狄肯!”他喊着。
'I'm going to get better! I'm going to live forever and ever and ever!'
“我会好起来的!我会永远永远活下去!”
As Dickon pushed the wheelchair all around the garden he told Colin the names of all the plants.
狄肯推着轮椅在花园里转着,告诉柯林所有植物的名字,
The sun shone the birds sang and in every corner of the garden there was something interesting to look at.
阳光明媚,鸟儿歌唱,花园的每一个角落都有有趣的东西可看。
The three children talked and laughed and by the end of the afternoon all three were speaking Yorkshire together.
三个孩子说着笑着,到了傍晚就都说起约克郡话来。
'I'll come back here every afternoon ' said Colin.
“我每天下午都要来,”柯林说。
'I want to watch things growing.'
“我要看着它们生长。”
'Soon you'll be strong enough to walk and dig.
“你很快就会强壮起来,能自己走路,自己挖土。
You'll be able to help us with the gardening ' said Dickon kindly.
你还能帮我们收拾园子。”狄肯友好地说道。
'Do you really think I'll be able to…to walk and…dig?' asked Colin.
“你真的觉得我能……能走路,还能……挖土?”柯林问。
'Of course you will.
“你当然能!
You've got legs like us!'
你有腿,跟我们一样!”
'But they're not very strong ' answered Colin.
“可是我的腿没有劲,”柯林答道。
'They shake and…and I'm afraid to stand on them.'
“总是不稳,我……我不敢站起来。”
'When you want to use them you'll be able to ' said Dickon.
“你想用它们时,你就能。”狄肯说。
The garden was quiet for a moment.
这会儿花园里非常安静。
Suddenly Colin said 'Who's that?'
突然,柯林说,“那是谁?”
Mary turned her head and noticed Ben Weather staff's angry face looking at her over the garden wall.
玛丽转过头,看见本·威瑟斯塔夫生气的眼睛正从围墙上边望着她。
'What are you doing in that garden young miss?' he shouted.
“你在花园里干嘛,小姐?”他吼道,
He had not seen Colin or Dickon.
他没看见柯林和狄肯。
'The robin showed me the way Ben ' she replied.
“知更鸟带我来的,本。”她回答。
'You…you—' He stopped shouting and his mouth dropped open as he saw Dickon pushing a boy in a wheelchair over the grass towards him.
“你……你——”当他看见狄肯在对面的草地上用轮椅推着个男孩时,他不再吼叫,嘴巴也张得老大。
'Do you know who I am?' asked the boy in the chair.
“知道我是谁吗?”轮椅上的男孩问。
Old Ben stared.‘You've got your mother's eyes ' he said in a shaking voice.
本瞪大了眼睛,“你的眼睛跟你妈妈的一模一样,”他说,声音有点发抖。
'Yes I know you. You're Mr Craven's son the little boy with the crooked back.'
“是啊,我知道你,你是克莱文先生的儿子,那个驼背的小男孩。”
Colin forgot that he had ever had backache.
柯林忘了自己曾一度背疼。
'My back's as straight as yours is!' he shouted.
他嚷道:“我的背跟你的一样直!”
Ben stared and stared. He only knew what he had heard from the servants.
本从上到下仔细打量。他只是听仆人们说起过。
'You haven't got a crooked back?' he asked. ‘Or crooked legs?'
“你的背不驼?”他问道,“你不是罗圈腿?”
That was too much. Colin was furious and it made him feel strong.
这可太过分了。柯林生气了,这反而让他觉得强壮起来。
'Come here Dickon!' he shouted and threw off his blanket.
“过来,狄肯!”他叫道,甩掉了盖毯,
Dickon was by his side in a second. Mary felt sick with fear. Could Colin stand?
狄肯立刻来到他身旁,玛丽感到有点担心,柯林能站起来吗?
Then Colin's thin feet were on the grass and he was standing holding Dickon's arm.
柯林瘦弱的脚放在草地上,扶着狄肯的胳膊站了起来。
He looked strangely tall and he held his head very high.
他看上去异常高大,头高高地扬着。
'Look at me!' he shouted at Ben. 'Just look at me!'
“看我!”他冲本喊道,“看看我呀!”
'He's as straight as any boy in Yorkshire!' said Dickon.
“他像约克郡别的男孩一样直!”狄肯说。
Tears were running down Ben's brown old face.
泪水从本那棕色而苍老的脸上滑落下来。
'They said you were going to die!' he whispered.
“他们说你要死了!”他小声说。
'Well you can see that's not true ' said Colin.
“那么,现在你该知道那不是真的,”柯林说道,
'Now get down from the wall and come here. I want to talk to you.
“现在从墙上下来到这儿来吧。我想跟你谈谈。
You've got to help us keep the garden a secret.'
你得帮我们保守花园的秘密。”
'Yes sir ' said old Ben as he dried his eyes.
“好的,先生。”本说着,一边擦干了泪水。
That was the first of many beautiful afternoons in the secret garden.
这是秘密花园中第一个美丽的下午,这样的下午以后还有很多。
Colin was brought there by Dickon and Mary nearly every day
柯林几乎每天都由狄肯和玛丽带到这儿,
and he saw all the changes that happened there during the spring and early summer.
他看到了春天和初夏这里的所有变化。
Ben Weather staff now in the secret joined them as often as he could.
本·威瑟斯塔夫,现在也是秘密的一部分,一有空就加入他们。
One day Colin spoke to all of them. 'Listen everybody.
一天,柯林对大家说:“你们大家听我说。
I think there's something like magic that makes gardens grow and things happen.
我想是什么魔法使花园里的植物生长,使很多事情发生。
Perhaps if I believe in it the magic will make me strong.
或许要是我相信,魔法也会使我变得强壮起来。
Let's all sit down in a circle and ask the magic to work.'
咱们坐下来围成圈请魔法显灵吧!”
So they all sat on the grass in a circle Dickon with his crow his fox and the two squirrels Mary Colin and Ben.
于是他们围坐在草地上,狄肯和他的乌鸦、狐狸以及两只松鼠,玛丽、柯林、还有本。
Colin repeated these words several times.
柯林重复说着:
'The sun's shining. That's the magic.
“阳光在照耀,这就是魔法。
Being strong. That's the magic. Magic!
强壮起来,这就是魔法。魔法!
Help me! Magic! Help me!'
帮帮我!魔法!帮帮我!”
At last Colin stopped.
最后柯林停下来。
'Now I'm going to walk around the garden ' he said and took Dickon's arm.
“现在我得在花园里走走了。”他说。于是他扶着狄肯的胳膊,
Slowly he walked from one wall to another followed closely by Mary and Ben.
慢慢地从一面墙走到另一面墙,玛丽和本紧紧跟着他们。
And when he had walked all the way around
当他走完一圈时,
he said 'You see! I can walk now! The magic worked!'
他说:“看哪!我能走了! 魔法显灵了!”
'It's wonderful!' cried Mary.
“太棒了!”玛丽叫着。
'Your father will think he is dreaming when he sees you!'
“你父亲看见你一定会以为是在做梦呢!”
'I won't tell him yet.
“我还不想告诉他。
I'm going to keep it a secret from everybody.
我要保守秘密,不让任何人知道。
I'll come to the garden and walk and run a little more every day until I'm as healthy as any other boy.
我要每天都到花园里散步,再跑上一小会儿,直到我像其他人一样健康。
Then when my father comes home I'll walk up to him and say 'Here I am Father. You see? I'm not going to die!'
到那会儿,等我父亲回家时,我要走到他面前,说,‘我在这儿,爸爸。你看到了吗?我不会死的!’”
Now began a difficult time for Colin and Mary.
这可给玛丽和柯林出了难题。
Dickon told his mother about it one evening as he was digging the cottage garden.
狄肯一天晚上在挖屋前的菜园时把这事告诉了妈妈。
'You see mother they don't want the doctor or the servants to guess that Colin can walk and is getting better.
“您看,妈妈,他们不想让医生或用人猜出柯林能走路,而且身体也好多了。
So they have to pretend he's still ill and just as disagreeable as he used to be!'
所以他们假装他还病着,而且还像从前一样不讨人喜欢!”
'If they're running about all day in the fresh air
“要是他们整天跑来跑去,呼吸新鲜空气,
that'll make them hungry I should think!'
那样他们会感到饿的,我想。”
'Yes that's the problem.
“是啊,就是这件事。
They're both getting fatter and healthier and they really enjoy their food now.
他们俩都长胖了,也健康了,而且很能吃饭了。
But they have to send some of it back to the kitchen uneaten.
可是他们却不得不剩下一些送回厨房,
If they eat it all people will realize how healthy they are!
要是都吃光了,人家就会知道他们很健康!
Sometimes they're very hungry!'
所以,他们有时饿得很厉害!”
'I know what we can do ' said Mrs Sowerby.
“我知道我们能做些什么,”索尔比太太说,
'You can take some fresh milk and some of my newly baked bread to the garden in the mornings.
“上午你带点新鲜的牛奶和我刚烤好的面包到花园去,
If they have that it'll do them a lot of good!
吃了这些会对他们有很大好处的!
What a game those children are playing!'
孩子们这是在玩什么把戏啊!”
And she laughed until tears came to her eyes.
她笑得眼泪都流出来了。
One afternoon when they were all working in the garden the door opened and a woman came quietly in.
一天下午,他们正在花园里干活儿,门开了,一个女人悄悄走了进来。
'It's Mother!' cried Dickon and ran towards her.
“是妈妈!”狄肯喊道,跑了过去,
'I told her where the door was
“我告诉了她门在哪儿,
because I knew she would keep the secret.'
因为我知道她会保密的。”
Colin held out his hand to her.
柯林伸出手,说:
'I've wanted to see you for a long time ' he said.
“我一直都想见到您。”
‘Dear boy!’Susan Sowerby whispered,holding his hand.
“好孩子!”苏珊·索尔比小声说着,握住他的手,
'You're so like your mother!'
“你长的可真像你妈妈。”
'Do you think ' asked Colin carefully
“您觉得,”柯林小心地问道,
'that will make my father like me?'
“这会让我父亲喜欢我吗?”
'I'm sure it will ' she answered warmly.
“我肯定他会的。”她热情地答道。
'He must see you —he must come home now.'
“他得看看你——他现在应该回家了。”
'You see how healthy the boy is Susan?' asked old Ben.
“苏珊,瞧这孩子多健康啊!”本说,
'Look how strong and straight his legs are now!'
“看他的腿,现在又直又结实!”
'Yes ' she laughed. 'Playing and working outside and eating good Yorkshire food has made him strong.
“是啊,”她笑了,“在外面玩,在外面干活,加上约克郡的美食,这就让他壮实起来了。
And Miss Mary too ' she added turning to Mary.
再加上有玛丽小姐。”她加了一句,转向玛丽。
'Mrs Medlock heard that your mother was a pretty woman.
“梅洛太太听说你妈妈很漂亮,
You'll soon be as pretty as she was.'
你很快也会像她一样漂亮的。”
'Do you believe in magic?' Colin asked her.
“您相信魔法吗?”柯林问她。
'I do ' she answered 'but everybody gives it a different name.
“相信。”她回答,“不过每个人都给它起了个不同的名字。
It makes the sunshine and the seeds grow—and it has made you healthy.'
它使阳光照耀,种子生长——同样也让你健康。”
She sat down on the grass and stayed for a while talking and laughing with the children in the quiet sunny garden.
她在草地上坐了一会儿,和孩子们在洒满阳光、宁静的花园里说笑着。
When she stood up to leave Colin suddenly put out a hand to her.
她站起身临走的时候,柯林向她伸出一只手。
'I wish—you were my mother!' he whispered.
“我真希望——您是我的妈妈!”他小声说。
Mrs Sowerby put her arms around him and held him to her.
索尔比太太把他搂在怀里,
'Dear boy! You're as close to your mother as you could be here in her garden.
“好孩子!在你妈妈的花园里,你离她要多近有多近。
And your father will come back soon!'
而且,你爸爸也快回来了!”
《秘密花园》故事讲述了性情古怪孤僻的小女孩玛丽・伦罗克斯的父母双亡后,生活在姨父神秘阴沉的大房子里,一次神奇的经历,使玛丽闯入久已禁闭且荒芜的花园。玛丽、农家小子迪肯和常年被关在阴暗房间里病态的少爷柯林,找到了开启快乐的钥匙,和花园经历了一次诗意的复活。