零基础英语日常用语学习(英语习惯用语学习系列之十)
零基础英语日常用语学习(英语习惯用语学习系列之十)你不能像那样就搬走。你要去哪里?你将如何生活?You can’t pull up stakes just like that. Where will you go? How will you live?我们在考虑搬到加州去。If you are looking for James you’re too late. He doesn’t live here anymore. He pulled up stakes about a month ago.如果你在找詹姆斯,那就太晚了。他不再住在这里了。他一个月前就搬走了。
今天给大家介绍几个在日常生活中经常用到的英语口语:
1 Pull up stakes
搬走,stake指搭帐篷的支柱,pull up是拔,也就是把帐篷支柱拔走,常常用于迁居、搬家,且有一去不复返的意思。
We’re thinking of pulling up stakes and moving to California.
我们在考虑搬到加州去。
If you are looking for James you’re too late. He doesn’t live here anymore. He pulled up stakes about a month ago.
如果你在找詹姆斯,那就太晚了。他不再住在这里了。他一个月前就搬走了。
You can’t pull up stakes just like that. Where will you go? How will you live?
你不能像那样就搬走。你要去哪里?你将如何生活?
When the police arrived at the suspect’s apartment they found he had already pulled up stakes and fled.
当警察到达嫌疑犯的公寓时,他们发现他已经离开那里逃跑了。
I've loved living in the city but now that we have a baby on the way it's time to pull up stakes and find somewhere more affordable.
我很喜欢住在城里,但现在我们有了一个孩子,是时候搬家,找个更实惠的地方了。
I always told myself that I would pull up stakes after spending five years working for them.
我总是告诉自己,在为他们工作了五年之后,我会另谋高就。
Let's pull up stakes and head home before the storm hits.
我们拔掉帐篷,在暴风雨来临之前回家吧。
Steven has chosen to leave New York for Florida with his girlfriend pulling up stakes giving up his apartment.
史蒂文选择和他的女朋友离开纽约去佛罗里达,收拾搬家,放弃了他的公寓。
When the factories and businesses closed most of the community were forced to pull up stakes and move south.
工厂和企业关闭后,大部分社区被迫搬家,向南迁移。
She pulled up stakes in New England and moved to the desert.
她离开了新英格兰,搬到了沙漠。
This is the fourth time in five years that we've had to pull up stakes.
这是我们五年来第四次不得不搬家。
We’re going to pull up stakes and move to Montana.
我们要搬到蒙大拿州去。
2 No dice
不行,dice是die(骰子)的复数形式,原为赌场用语,在双骰子赌博中,当掷出输掉赌注的点子(craps)时,庄家就会对其他还要投掷骰子的人喊no dice 意思是不要掷骰子,停一下。
There are no dice in this room.
这个房间里没有骰子。
No dice. You can beg until you’re blue in the face but I still won’t lend you the money.
不行。无论你怎样讲,我都不会借钱给你。
No dice. I didn’t get the job.
不行了,我没有得到那份工作。
It’s no dice. The car just won’t start.
不行,车子不能启动了。
I asked him to help us but it was no dice.
我求他帮忙,但他拒绝了。
The hero fell in love with his friend’s little sister early in the novel but it was no dice.
小说中的主人公在开头就爱上了他朋友的妹妹,但最后并没有走到一起。
I tried swapping out the carburetor but no dice.
我试着换掉化油器,但没有成功。
I tried calling her and I tried one or two of her old friends in Hampstead but there was no dice.
我试着打电话给她,我还试过她在汉普斯特德的一两个老朋友,但是都没有打通。
I was hoping he'd offer me a ride in his hot-air balloon but no dice.
我原希望他能让我坐他的热气球,但没有成功。
When I asked about a loan he said No dice.
当我问起贷款的事时,他说不行。
If there'd been a halfway decent house for rent on this island I would have taken it. But it was no dice.
如果这个岛上有一所像样的房子出租,我就租了。但这里没有。
If the Republicans were to say "no dice " the Democrats would think they have a campaign issue.
如果共和党人说“不行”,民主党人会认为他们有竞选问题。
3 Fiddle while Rome burns
大事不管,只计较小事,捡了芝麻,丢了西瓜。据说,公元64年罗马城着大火的时候,暴君尼禄(Nero)一边望着失火的罗马城,一边还在弹竖琴作乐,但这一传说并不真实,根据同时期历史学家塔西佗(Tacitus)记载,尼禄也曾努力去扑灭大火,而且那时还没有小提琴这种乐器。Fiddle还有干无聊且没有意义的事情来消磨时间的意思。
Rampant inflation is destroying the nation’s economy and what is the British government doing? Discussing tobacco prices arguing over whether cats should be licensed and otherwise fiddling while Rome burns.
猖獗的通货膨胀正在摧毁国家的经济,英国政府在做什么?讨论烟草价格,争论猫是否应该获得许可证,或者其它鸡毛蒜皮的小事。
While the Nazis were dragging Europe ever closer to war most of the world seemed content to fiddle while Rome burns.
当纳粹把欧洲拖向战争的边缘时,世界上的大多数国家似乎满足于贪图安乐,不问时事。
You guys can sit around and fiddle while Rome burns if you want to but I’m going to try to do something to prevent this company from going bankrupt.
如果你们愿意的话,你们可以袖手旁观,但我会尽力阻止这家公司破产。
Organizing these files is like fiddling while Rome burns—the boss won't care what they look like when he finds out we lost that big client!
整理这些文件无关痛痒—老板发现我们失去了那个大客户时,他不会在乎这些文件是什么样子的!
Climate change is upon us and our leaders just fiddle while Rome burns.
气候变化就发生在我们身边,而我们的领导人只是在应付,对此毫不关心。
The lobbyists don't seem to be doing anything to stop this tax bill. They're fiddling while Rome burns.
说客们似乎没有采取任何措施来阻止这项税收法案。他们在做其它的一些鸡毛蒜皮的事儿。
The Australian community understands the seriousness of the situation. It is the Federal Government that has been fiddling while Rome burns.
澳大利亚社会理解这种情况的严重性。是联邦政府无所作为。
People talk about educational reform but while the politicians fiddle Los Angeles and Chicago are burning and these kids' educational opportunities are going down in flames as well.
人们谈论教育改革,但是政客们没有作为,洛杉矶和芝加哥情况不妙,这些孩子们的教育机会也灰飞烟灭了。
With the world’s population growing fast and millions getting hungrier every day the leaders of the rich nations just seem to be fiddling while Rome burns.
随着世界人口的快速增长和每天数以百万计的人变得越来越难以维持温饱,富裕国家的领导人似乎毫不关心。
4 Fat chance!
天晓得!该短语字面意思是肥机会,但实际上却表示almost no chance 几乎没有希望。说这个短语的口气都比较粗鲁,比较委婉的说法是slim chance。
A fat chance I have of getting a vacation this summer. The boss has just decided that we should all double our sales by September.
今年夏天我休假的机会不大。老板刚刚决定到九月份我们的销售额都要翻一番。
Fat chance he has of getting a promotion.
他升职的机会不大。
You think she'll lend you the money? Fat chance!
你认为她会借给你钱吗?机会不大!
He said he’d give me a job if I passed my exam with a grade A. A fat chance I have of that!
他说如果我以甲级通过考试,他会给我一份工作的。我几乎没有机会!
Fat chance I’ll ever get a new car.
我买新车的可能性很小。
Did you really think that he would show up to work the day after a long weekend? Fat chance!
你真的认为他会在一个长周末后的第二天来上班吗?机会不大!
Fat chance of winning the lotto if you don't even buy a ticket.
如果你连票都不买,中奖的机会就不大。
Doctor told her that being too old there is a fat chance of getting well of her grandfather.
医生告诉她,她祖父年纪太大了,康复机会不大。
5 A tall order
难完成的任务,指那些要求得过高,很难完成的任务。
You want us to make two suits for you by next Monday? That’s a tall order but I think we can do it.
你想让我们在下周一前给你做两套西装吗?这是一项很难完成的任务,但我认为我们可以做到。
The boss wants me to compile 100 pages of data each day which is a pretty tall order if you ask me.
老板要我每天编辑100页数据,如果你问我,这是一个相当难以完成的任务。
Baking hundreds of cupcakes in one night is a tall order but I think we can manage it.
一个晚上烤几百个纸杯蛋糕是一项艰巨的任务,但我认为我们可以设法做到。
That's a tall order. Do you think anyone can do it?
这是一项很难完成的任务。你认为有人能做到吗?
Financing your studies may seem like a tall order but there is plenty of help available.
资助你的学习似乎是一项艰巨的任务,但是有很多资源是可以利用的。
I've got to beat him by four shots tomorrow and that's a very tall order.
明天我要以四杆击败他,这是非常艰巨的任务。
But the UK economy had to slow down somewhat and gliding it down to exactly the right spot was a tall order.
但英国经济不得不放慢脚步,将其滑落到恰好合适的位置是一项艰巨的任务。
6 Be one’s own man
不受他人支配,按照自己想法行事。直译为是自己所有的人。自己不是别人的东西,而归自己所有,也就是在思想行动上完全独立的人。在讲某个人的基本态度或想法的时候使用。
I can never tell my hubby what to do. He’s very much his own man.
我永远不会告诉丈夫该怎么办。他很有自己的想法。
You can’t rise in the army if you insist on being your own man.
如果你太有个性,在军队是无法得到晋升的。
Tom is anxious to quit his job and go into business for himself. He’s not happy unless he can be his own man.
汤姆急于辞去工作,自己去做生意。除非他能说了算,否则他不快乐。
After sleeping almost twelve hours I was finally my own man again.
睡了差不多12个小时后,我终于又恢复了精力。
Soon after his operation he was again feeling his own man.
手术后不久,他又恢复了健康。
After twelve years of working for someone else I was finally my own man again.
在为别人工作了十二年之后,我终于可以按照自己的想法干了。
You can't just accept everything you read in the media—you have to be your own man.
你不能只接受在媒体上阅读的所有内容,你必须有自己的想法。
When I was younger I would do anything my friends were doing but I'm my own person now.
年轻的时候,我会做我的朋友正在做的任何事情,但是我现在不会盲从了。
You won't be able to manipulate her—she's really her own woman.
您将无法操纵她-她确实很有个性。